Print this Article

I’ve always wanted to try making cake balls.  The whole idea just looks like fun.  I’ve seen them on other sites and thought I would definitely have to give them a go some day.

Well hubby got promoted recently so why not use that as an excuse to make some for him to take into the office right?  Easy as can be.

The recipe below uses a boxed cake mix but if you can’t get your hands on one or would just prefer to make it your red velvet cake from scratch here is the recipe.

Red Velvet & Cream Cheese Cake Balls

Ingredients:

• 1 box red velvet cake mix (I used Duncan Hines – cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
  • 1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
  • Parchment or wax paper.
Red Velvet & Cream Cheese Cake Balls

Red Velvet & Cream Cheese Cake Balls

Method:

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with the cream cheese frosting.  I used a wooden spoon to mix it around.
3. Using a melon baller or teaspoon roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet covered with parchment.   You can also use a mini ice-cream scoop but I’m a hands on kinda gal.
4. Chill for several hours. I froze mine for two hours.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on parchment until firm.  (I dropped the balls into the chocolate, completely covered them and then scooped them up with a fork and tapped on the side of the bowl until most of the excess chocolate came off.)

I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It’s easier to work with when it’s hot.

I refrigerated mine again until ready to pack up and send to the office.

(22) Comments    Read More

Comments

Valerie Peli on 18 August, 2009 at 11:20 am #

These look and sound so yummy! They’d be excellent party food and just may show up on the menu for my daughter’s birthday. Can’t wait to try them.

Colleen on 18 August, 2009 at 11:50 am #

Hi Valerie, a great idea for party food and you can make them in whatever flavours you like! They also ship well for gifting. Have a great party!

Amber on 26 August, 2009 at 6:57 pm #

I am happily in the process of making a batch now, but my cake isn’t as dark and pretty as in the picture. I used the Duncan Hines mix and canned cream cheese frosting. Should I add red food color to the frosting to maintain the rich red color?

Colleen on 26 August, 2009 at 7:08 pm #

Hey Amber, I didn’t add any red food coloring to them but it won’t hurt if you prefer them to be a bit richer in color. No rules, it’s all up to your personal taste! Good luck and I hope you enjoy them! I sent a batch out today to my daughter in Nebraska… they travel well.

Cheers for now, Colleen 🙂

Amber on 28 August, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

Thanks, Colleen! I might try that on the next batch. Regardless, they’re quite yummy! Great reviews all around. I can’t believe they’re so easy!

Amy Liz on 2 December, 2009 at 8:54 pm #

Does anyone know how many dozen one cake box makes?

Colleen on 2 December, 2009 at 9:14 pm #

Hi Amy, I am having trouble remembering but I do recall filling two half sheet pans with 12 rows of 6 so about 12 dozen from what I remember. Mine were probably smaller than a marshmallow after being dipped in the chocolate. I hope this helps. Oh I also use Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix when I’m in a hurry as it has a higher yield for me than some other brands. Enjoy! ~ Colleen

heidi @ wonder woman wannabe on 12 December, 2009 at 8:16 am #

OOOH! Now those look just DIVINE! 😉 I wish I would have had the recipe last weekend for a party I helped coordinate, but it would also be nice for a gift for my boys teachers! (or maybe just for OUR house!!)

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!!

Lynn on 12 December, 2009 at 8:25 am #

My word, you had me at red velvet…

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!! Here’s my Sharefest link if anyone needs more blog followers: http://bit.ly/5hre0m

Colleen on 12 December, 2009 at 8:41 am #

Thank you Heidi and Lynn for dropping by today! I hope you make some of these and enjoy! 🙂

Jennifer - Somewhere In Between on 12 December, 2009 at 4:25 pm #

WOW! These look incredible!! I can’t wait to try!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!!

Norma on 18 December, 2009 at 11:39 am #

I added chopped pecans to mine. They were delicious.

Colleen on 18 December, 2009 at 11:49 am #

Great idea Norma! Glad you enjoyed them and Happy Holidays to you!

Colleen

[…] forget to try this recipe out making the Red Velvet & Cream Cheese Cake Balls, they’re […]

Lexi on 22 December, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

My mom and I are going to make these. Someone made them at a party and they were so good so now we are going to try and make them. Hope they turn out well.

Colleen on 22 December, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

Have fun Lexi, they are easy to make and look and taste great!

Reva Phillips on 18 January, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

I am wanting to make these for a wedding in August. Can you give me any advice for freezing them? I was thinking of making them ahead and freezing them in my vacuum sealer but I don’t have any idea on a time frame for them staying fresh.

Colleen on 19 January, 2011 at 8:04 am #

Hi Reva, the safety guidelines suggest we only freeze cakes etc for 2-3 months. Personally I have frozen them as a test for 6 months and they still thawed out nicely but I like the idea of the vacuum sealing as added protection against dryness as all freezers are different. The cake was still as good as they day I made them but I’m sure it has to do with the fact that they had a lot of buttercream mixed into them. Also, be sure when thawing that the chocolate doesn’t get wet. I have put mine on paper towel to ensure it doesn’t sit in any water as chocolate doesn’t like water. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Laura on 28 November, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

I found this video about How to Cake pops to be super duper helpful! It tells how many pops a box should make! I’m going to make these Red Velvet ones for my seeeester’s baby shower:) Thanks! WIsh me luck!

Colleen on 3 December, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Cake pops are fun Laura! Good video also!

Cheers, Colleen

Brenda hatfield on 5 December, 2011 at 10:49 am #

I have made them many times, always a hit.I like to use the white bark for the coating, and while it’s wet, sprinkle crushed peppermint on top for a holiday touch. You can do this on Oreo balls too. Only coat a few at a time so they stay “wet”so the candy will stick. I also presented them on a tray covered with a peppermint printed napkin, and spread peppermints throughout the balls.

Colleen on 6 December, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

Hi Brenda, your cake balls sound delicious. I must put up some pics of different varieties some time soon! Happy holidays to you!

Colleen