by Coco | March 3, 2009 7:13 am
Until recently, I didn’t realize just how much I love lemon flavoured desserts. My husband will eat slices of lemon skin and all which makes me cringe just thinking about it. You know the feeling, your toes curl up, your face puckers into all manner of strange expressions and your every nerve ending is on alert. Well that’s sort of how it feels to me!
|So apart from lemon meringue pie, lemon bars are one of my favourite quick and easy desserts to whip up. This easy recipe has a sweet tart dough and a quick filling which you basically throw in the mixer bowl, whip and then pour over the pre-cooked dough… cook the filling for another 25 mins and presto you are done.
2 lb. 8 oz. Sweet Tart Dough, plain or coconut variation
Sweet Tart Dough
1 lb. 8 oz. Unsalted butter, softened
2. Combine the egg yolks and whole eggs. Slowly add the eggs to the creamed butter. Mix until smooth and free of lumps, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour to the butter-and-egg mixture. Mix only until incorporated; do not overmix. The dough should be firm, smooth and not sticky.
4. Dust a half-sheet pan with flour. Pack the dough into the pan evenly. Wrap well in plastic wrap and chill until firm.
5. Work with a small portion of the chilled dough when shaping tart shells or other products.
4 ounces Powdered sugar for garnish
1. Roll the chilled dough out on parchment paper to fit the sides and bottom of a half-size sheet pan. Prick the surface of the dough with a fork and bake at 350°F (175°C) until the dough is light golden, approximately 15 minutes. If cracks develop during the baking process, patch with the leftover dough and return briefly to the oven.
2. Brush the baked dough with egg wash and return to the oven for 3 minutes or until the egg wash has set.
3. To prepare the filling, whip the sugar and the eggs just until smooth. Whisk in the pastry flour until well combined, then add the lemon juice, milk and salt.
4. Pour the lemon filling in the prebaked shell.
5. Bake at 325°F (163°C) until set, approximately 25 minutes.
6. Cool, then cut into 1 1/2 inch × 1 1/2 inch (4 × 4 cm) squares. Dust liberally with powdered sugar.
Source URL: https://cakeartisan.com/2009/03/lemon-bars/
Copyright ©2018 Coco's Creative Kitchen unless otherwise noted.