by Colleen | May 5, 2010 4:07 pm
This is the cake I made for my daughter Megan’s baby shower this past weekend. The cake on the bottom was yellow cake filled with white cream cheese frosting and then covered with the same frosting coloured blue. I added balls of chocolate fondant to the sides and for the circles.
The top cake was made using the good old Wilton Teddy Bear pan. I made this for her first birthday some 20+ years ago so thought it would be a nice touch for this cake. The cake is chocolate cake and is iced with a chocolate flavoured cream cheese frosting. The diaper is thinly rolled white fondant made using Carrie Biggers’ recipe. Sorry but I can’t give that to you here because Carrie sells it on her website as one of her product range. It’s a great recipe and tastes so much better than commercially produced fondant. I am always horrified when I see the fondant being torn off of wedding cakes by folks that have only had the shop bought kind. The home made stuff is so much nicer and very edible.
Ok, so I have to “fess up.” Even experienced bakers and decorators make mistakes. Stupid mistakes actually. That bear on the top took three attempts before I got it right. I can’t believe it since I’ve made it many times before but the first time around I didn’t add enough batter to the pan so when bear came out he had NO LEGS! Um no. That bear became chocolate cake balls that I put into the party favour boxes for our guests to take home with them, so not a total waste.
With my second attempt I totally forgot to insert the cone into the center of the pan which ensures even cooking. Not realizing my mistake I took the “perfect” bear from the pan and then wondered why his head was caving in. After a crack formed I could see that the batter inside was still liquid and not even close to being cooked. This poor bear met his demise down the garbage disposal.. sorry bear number 2.
So finally at 11:30pm on Friday night (the party was the next day) I baked off bear number 3. You might think this one worked out perfectly. Well not exactly. Probably due to the fact that it had been one heck of a busy week I did remember to insert the heat cone this time BUT forgot to spray it with cooking spray. As I pulled it out a crack formed across poor bear’s face. Thank goodness for buttercream which I used to patch him up with.
So next time you make a mistake or forget something, don’t worry too much, we all do it!
Source URL: http://cakeartisan.com/2010/05/baby-shower-cake-2/
Copyright ©2017 Cake Artisan – serving up the sweeter side of life! unless otherwise noted.