by Colleen | July 19, 2009 2:26 pm
|I’ve always wanted to try making cake balls. The whole idea just looks like fun. I’ve seen them on other sites and thought I would definitely have to give them a go some day.|
Well hubby got promoted recently so why not use that as an excuse to make some for him to take into the office right? Easy as can be.
The recipe below uses a boxed cake mix but if you can’t get your hands on one or would just prefer to make it your red velvet cake from scratch here is the recipe.
Red Velvet & Cream Cheese Cake Balls
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with the cream cheese frosting. I used a wooden spoon to mix it around.
3. Using a melon baller or teaspoon roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet covered with parchment. You can also use a mini ice-cream scoop but I’m a hands on kinda gal.
4. Chill for several hours. I froze mine for two hours.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on parchment until firm. (I dropped the balls into the chocolate, completely covered them and then scooped them up with a fork and tapped on the side of the bowl until most of the excess chocolate came off.)
I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It’s easier to work with when it’s hot.
I refrigerated mine again until ready to pack up and send to the office.
Source URL: http://cakeartisan.com/2009/07/red-velvet-cream-cheese-cake-balls/
Copyright ©2017 Cake Artisan – serving up the sweeter side of life! unless otherwise noted.